If you want to transform your regular longboard into an electric skateboard you need an electric skateboard conversion kit. There are various of them on the market and I’m here to help you sort through all the choices out there. I did research about the most reliable and reputable electric skateboard kits, You can read about the details of these in my article below. However, I’d hate to bore you down so let’s get to the juicy stuff. Specifically, which is the best electric skateboard conversion kit?
The Mellow Drive and Ride Unlimited R Kit are the best electric skateboard conversion kits out there. These electric skateboard conversion kits are superior in mounting convenience, sleekness, ability mount and mount off, building quality, air travel friendliness, warranty, and customer service.
|Mellow Drive||Unlimited x Loaded Race Kit|
|Top Speed||22 mph (36 km/h)||26 mph (42 km/h)|
|Range||7 miles (15 km)||13 miles (21 km)|
|Battery Size||99 Watt hours||2 x 90 Wh|
|Motor Power||2 x 750 Watts||2 x 840 Watts Max|
|Weight||8.6 pounds | 3,9 kg||9 pounds | 4 kg|
|Max Weight Capacity||No info||240 lbs |110 kg|
|Hill Climb||20 %||20 %|
|Charge Time||3,5 hrs (normal charger)|
40 min (fast charger)
|2 – 3 hrs R Kit|
|Wheel Size||Wheel Diameter: 80 mm||Wheel Diameter: 82.5 mm|
|Water Resistance||IP65 (Water and dust-proof)||Batteries and Motor controller – IP65 rated|
|Warranty||6 months (USA)|
2 years (EU)
|1 year (USA)|
2 years (EU)
|Air Travel Friendly||Yes||Yes|
|Price||$ 1099 Mellow Drive|
$ 1139 Drive Kit
|$ 1349 Race Kit|
|Link to Website||mellowboards.com||unlimitedxloadedusa.com|
Why Using an Electric Skateboard Conversion Kit and Not an Entire E-board?
The Electric skateboard (or e-board) is gaining a lot of popularity among commuters, sport riders, and hobbyists alike. New electric motor technology and powerful rechargeable batteries have driven the era of high-performing battery-powered skateboards.
Before diving into the best electric skateboard kits available on the market, I want to get into explaining the purpose of these things. First off, fitting these kits to an existing deck is interesting, but they don’t offer much of a cost-saving over buying a complete e-board. Then, what are the reasons for purchasing one?
Now, with several excellent skateboard kits on the market, you don´t have to purchase electric skateboards as a whole package deal. If you want an electric skateboard, the easiest but most expensive option is to purchase a complete board. With e-board kits, though, you have options for customization and personalization not otherwise possible. You can add-on a modular electric kit to your previously bought personal deck. In my opinion, this interactivity is something the electric skateboards of today lack. The ability to pick any skateboard you like, add your preferences onto it, to sit down and make the skateboard your baby is unique to the converted e-boards.
Most of these e-board conversion kits come with everything you need. All the tough electrical work is already over with and you simply need to fit the kit to your deck. This can be done by anyone with a few tools, a bit of time, and some decent instructions (ideally in video format, which you can find a ton of on YouTube)
The Best Electric Skateboard Kits
Mellow was, like many electric skateboard companies, funded over on Kickstarter. With the help of more than 350 backers from all around the globe, the Mellow Team succeeded with pledges totaling more than 300% of their initial goal. The Mellow Drive is an electric skateboard conversion kit, so it can be mounted on almost any deck with just 4 screws like a normal truck. (look out for wheel bites though). Mellow is based in Germany, and as you might suspect from the germans, the electric drive is very well engineered. In fact, the company was founded by two guys, one of them being an electrical engineer at BMW. The Mellow Drive was inspired and motivated by the search for the endless ride. It combines the characteristics of a skateboard with state of the art German engineering.
The Mellow Drive gives you the freedom to choose your favorite deck and recycle it into a full e-board. With its compact battery size, it also qualifies as an air travel mate. With under 100 Wh, the battery pack is labeled with the UN transport certificate and can be carried as hand luggage on an airplane. You can even plan your trip with an App that displays your range depending on your riding mode and state of charge. Convenient, right? Thanks to its completely sealed top shell, the Mellow Drive and its remote control is water and dustproof (IP65). It can handle wet conditions, as long as extremes like deep puddles and heavy rain are avoided. An easy click-in mechanism allows you to swap your battery pack and multiply your range in moments. All it takes is two clicks and a couple of seconds. You can even charge your phone with the battery pack!
- One of my favorite things about the Mellow Drive is its 2 year warranty time (2 years for the drive system and remote and 1 year for battery pack). That’s pretty rare in this industry!
The Mellow Drive comes in different models:
- Mellow Drive (Drive system + remote) you will need to have a deck and front trucks and wheels.
- Mellow Drive S (The Drive S is basically the same product as the Mellow Drive but with less speed (power peak) (Drive system + remote) you will need to have a deck and front trucks and wheels.
- Mellow Drive Set (Drive system (Drive S) + remote + front trucks and wheels) you just need a deck and you are good to go
- Mellow Cruiser/ Surfer: These are complete boards equipped with the Mellow Drive
|Top Speed||15 mph (25 km/h) Mellow Drive S|
22 mph (40 km/h) Mellow Drive
|Range||7 miles (15 km) Mellow Drive|
|Battery Size||99 Watt hours|
|Motor Power||2 x 750 Watts|
|Weight||8.6 pounds | 3,9 kg|
|Max Weight Capacity||No info|
|Hill Climb||20 %|
|Charge Time||3,5 hrs (normal charger)|
40 min (fast charger)
|Wheel Size||Wheel Diameter: 80 mm|
|Water Resistance||IP65 (water and dustproof)|
|Warranty||2 years for the drive system and remote and 1 year for battery pack|
|Link to Website (USA)||mellowboardsusa.com|
|Link to Website (EU)||mellowboards.com|
|Price||€ 699 Mellow Drive S (only available in Europe)|
$ 1099 Mellow Drive$ 1139 Drive Kit
Unlimited x Loaded
Ride Unlimited started out on Kickstarter with its first product, the “Unlimited’s Eon | World’s 1st Electric Skateboard Powertrain”. This campaign got funded on Kickstarter for USD 335K, which is pretty darn successful. Now the company has renewed its base model into 3 different e-board kits. The company is based in Barcelona, Spain and its purpose is very simple: to bring electric skateboarding to everyone while preserving their individual style and character. This project is all about simplifying electric skateboard and offering an easy plug-and-play solution. The product technicians at Ride Unlimited have designed a sturdy powertrain kit that allows any skateboard or longboard to be converted into an e-board in minutes. The kits have three riding modes that can be finetuned to your own custom preferences via the mobile app. The motor and electronics are weatherproof, so you can ride through puddles. Note that heavy rain or submerging is not recommended. The Drive Kits come with everything needed to mount to your board, all you will need is the deck plus trucks to fit the kit.
- The great thing about Unlimited is that the batteries are sub 100 Wh which means you simply take them off your Drive Kit or Complete e-board and bring them along to your flight as a carry-on. It honestly still depends on the airline and airport security but the Ride Unlimited has traveled from Asia to the EU with 7 batteries!
There are three different kits available:
- Solo Kit: Single drivetrain
- Cruiser Kit: Single drivetrain with two batteries
- Race Kit: Dual motor drivetrain with two batteries
- Complete E-boards: Kit of your choice, Loaded deck, Paris trucks, and Orangatang Nipple bushings
|Top Speed||23 mph (37 km/h) Solo Kit|
23 mph (37 km/h) Cruiser Kit
26 mph (42 km/h) Race Kit
|Range||7 miles (11 km) Solo Kit|
13 miles (21 km) Cruiser Kit
13 miles (21 km) Race Kit
|Battery Size||90 Wh Solo Kit|
180 Wh Cruiser Kit
180 Race Kit
|Motor Power||840 Watts Max – Solo Kit|
840 Watts Max – Cruiser Kit
2 x 840 Watts Max – Race Kit
|Weight||4,4 pounds | 2 kg – Solo Kit|
6,6 pounds |3 kg – Cruiser Kit
9 pounds | 4 kg – Race Kit
|Max Weight Capacity||240 lbs|110 kg (Also depending on the deck)|
|Hill Climb||9% Solo Kit|
9% Cruiser Kit
20% Race Kit
|Charge Time||1 – 2 hrs Solo Kit|
2 – 3 hrs Cruiser Kit
2 – 3 hrs Race Kit
|Wheel Size||Wheel Diameter: 85 mm|
Contact Patch: 58 mm
|Warranty||1 year (US)|
2 years (EU)
|Link to Website||unlimitedxloadedusa.com|
|Price||$ 769 Solo Kit|
$ 1099 Cruiser Kit
$ 1349 Race Kit
Revel is a technology company based and founded in the US in 2017, which expresses itself a dedicated interest in sustainable urban transportation
The Revel Kit is an extensive bolt-on electric skateboard. It includes a swappable lithium-ion battery, charging dock and adapter, remote charging cable, skate tool and shock pad. The Revel Kit is compatible with most longboard wheels and as such comes with adapters for ABEC 11 and Orangatang wheels. As such, this kit includes everything you need for your E-board besides the deck! With only four bolts, it’s sure to be quick on most types of decks to install.
The battery in the kit comes in the standard, with a range of 6-10 miles (10-16km), and a battery with an extended range (ER) of 10-15 miles (16-24km). Additionally, these batteries are swappable so that you can exchange your depleted battery with a fully charged one, avoiding the potential wait that can come with its 2-3h charge time. The regenerative braking further ensures that as little of your battery is depleted as possible. The Bluetooth Revel remote can be paired with two kits simultaneously for a four-wheel drive experience.
The Revel Kit boasts with overwhelmingly positive reviews on their website, although some customers note some problems with fitting on certain wheels as well as the communication regarding shipping.
Revel offers international shipping, but only a 14-day return within the US. They offer a warranty of 6 months on all their products depending on circumstance. While the Standard Range and the Extended Range Kits usually sell for $699.99 and $799.99 respectively, they currently have both the varieties on a sale, reducing the price by $100. There is also an option to pay them off monthly with affirm.
|Top Speed||28 mph (45 km/h)|
|Range||Standard: 6-10 miles (10-16km) |
Extended: 10-15 miles (16-24km)
|Battery Size||Standard: 144Wh|
|Motor Power||1100 Watts Dual Brushless Motors|
|Weight||11 lbs | 5 kg|
|Max Weight Capacity||264 lbs |120 kg (Also depending on the deck)|
|Water Resistance||IP54 (Water and dust resistant)|
|Link to Website||revelboards.com|
|Price||Standard Kit: $599 (originally $699)|
ER Kit: $699 (originally $799)
Onan is a Chinese company. They focus on the standard skateboard booster, electric bike, and electric scooter, with professional research & development in the intelligent transport vehicles industry. The company was founded in 2006. In April 2016, Onan arrived at an electric skateboard scene with their Onan X1 Booster, but the X1 Booster was rather unexciting, all things considered. A prevalent consumer evaluation was that it didn’t measure up in speed compared to other models on the market. To boot, many seemed unenthused by its modest range, which meant it wasn’t suitable for longer rides. However, it was reliable and affordable. The X1 has since been discontinued and at the moment Onan has two different electric skateboard kits on the market: the Booster X2 and the Booster X3. The X2 is the more powerful model. Onan X3 arrived on the market in April of 2017 and was meant for people who didn’t need to go that fast or to climb that steep, for those that didn’t need the big 93mm wheels that Onan X2 has. It is $100 cheaper than X2. Like Mellow and Ride Unlimited, the Onan boosters fit under any deck, so you can upgrade your normal longboard into a powerful e-board. Some more features include: Swappable battery, Flight compatibility, 2 hub motors, waterproof, Regenerative braking, manages up to 30% slope.
However, one unique feature of the Onan boosters is that you can pair them together and have a 4WD. The main differences to the normal systems and the 4WD system are the power of the start and braking. You will have better acceleration, more torque, and better brakes.
Users say that the acceleration and braking curve is not very smooth, so the riding experience of Mellow and Riding Unlimited products are better.
|Top Speed||22 mph (40 km/h) Booster X2|
18.6 mph (30 km/h) Booster X3
|Range||8 miles (12 km) Booster X2 and X3|
17.4 miles (29 km) Booster X2 and X3 ER
|Battery Size||90 Wh – standard battery|
158 Wh – ER Battery
|Motor Power||2 x 1000 Watts X2|
2 x 600 Watts X3
|Weight||10 pounds | 4,5 kg – X2|
9 pounds |4 kg – X3
|Max Weight Capacity||264 lbs | 120 kg (Also depending on the deck)|
|Hill Climb||30% X2|
|Charge Time||1.5 hrs normal Battery|
3 hrs ER battery
|Wheel Size||Wheel Diameter: 90 mm X2|
Wheel Diameter: 75mm X3
|Water Resistance||IP65 (water and dust proof)|
|Link to Website||onan-booster.com|
|Price||$ 799 X2|
$ 699 X3
Things to Consider When Choosing an Electric Skateboard Kit
There are numerous important factors to consider when choosing a conversion kit for electric skateboarding. So before you rush for the cheapest Kit on the shelf, think about your purchase and these variables.
- Ease of Assembly: This is the most essential part of electric skateboard conversion kits. If you don’t want to mess with a lot of calculations, cutting, drilling, soldering then the ease of assembly will be your most important factor. The easiest set-ups are plug and ride. With these, you just have to mount your kit on the deck, plug the battery in and you are good to go. In this article, the majority of e-board kits are plug and ride.
- Motor type: The motor is one of the most important factors when thinking about power on an e-board. The motor, the battery and Electric Speed Controller (ESC) will control how fast we can go, how well we climb hills, how much acceleration, and how good of a braking ability we’ve got. If you live in a hilly area but still want to skate fast, better buy an electric skateboard kit with a powerful motor. Check out my comparison table featuring the best e-boards and their hill-climbing abilities.
- Battery: The battery size and battery quality (yes, there are huge differences) are unquestionably the most crucial factors when it comes to the e-skate range and cost. The battery is the most expensive part of an electric skateboard kit. The bigger and the better the battery the more range you get. Of curse, steep up the quality and size of the battery and your kit will keep on getting increasingly more expensive. Additionally, it’s also important to distinguish between different battery brands, types, and set-ups. Battery capacity is usually measured in Watt-hrs. (Watt-hrs = volts x amp-hrs.) Some e-board companies attempt to hide the real size of the battery and just display the estimated range or the battery size with ampere-hours or voltage numbers on their website. However, I did research and evaluated the Watt-hours (Wh) for every electric skateboard conversion kit I’ve included on my list.
- Swappable battery: Some kits come with easily swappable batteries. This comes in handy if we want to get more range quickly without waiting for the required hours it takes to recharge the battery. Instead, you can just pack another battery along. If you want to know how long electric skateboard batteries usually last, feel free to further check out my article, where I have written about it.
- Remote Control (RC): The importance of the design of the remote control (RC) is something a lot of beginners might not know at the get-go. If an RC is poorly designed it’ll bite us in the butt and we’ll have a hard time enjoying our rides. When it comes down to control the acceleration and braking precisely the RC is essential. So make sure to think about the remote control too when buying an e-skate conversion kit.
- Electric Speed Controller (ESC): The ESC is the brain and main computational unit in an electric skateboard kit. It is an electronic part, a mechanism that regulates the drive and the speed of the motor. The ESC supplies the motor with the ideal amount of electric power and controls the acceleration and braking curve as needed. The ESC is a fundamental part when it comes to how smooth the ride of your e-board kit is.
- Customer support: For us consumers, it’s essential to have reliable customer support available wherever we make our purchase. If any part breaks, we have problems with the assembly we will wish we have got someone to go to. Customer support can make the difference between being frustrated or happily pleased.
- Wheel size (wheel bite): Other crucial parts to consider when choosing an e-board kit is the wheel, truck, and deck size. Most important is the distance between the wheels and the deck. We don’t want to have wheel bites (when the wheel touches the deck) when making turns. E-boarding without making turns and carving? Ugh! This would make our rides outrageously inconvenient! Therefore, make sure that you’ve got the wheel size right and proper before anything else. You don’t need to worry all that much as the majority of e-board companies are well aware of this problem. They will most likely lend you the right advice.
- Air Travel: If you want to take your e-board with you on planes your battery can’t exceed the size of 160 Watt-hours. Additionally, it is recommended to have a removable battery so that you can take it with you as a carry-on item like a normal power bank. Due to the big battery capacities, the majority of e-boards are not made for air travel. Fortunately, we will find surprisingly many models which are Air Travel-friendly on this very list. If you want to know more about whether you can take your electric skateboard on planes, check out my guide on Air travel.
Note: All specs and prices are at the time of writing, so it is always worth checking before choosing as this is a very fast-evolving technology and manufacturing.
Older and Other Electric Skateboard Kits
I am just listing the Teamgee H3 for reasons of thoroughness. This electric skateboard conversion kit is not getting produced anymore.
Like the Teamgee H3 I am listing the Landwheel L3 Kit for reasons of completeness. This electric skateboard conversion kit is not available anymore.
IvoryBoard Mark 2
IvoryBoard started 2017 on Kickstarter. The kit actually looks quite nice, but their website does not allow you to order a kit. It seems like the company did not really take off and is another example of a company failing on the market after a Crowdfunding success.
Chinese Budget and Cheap Electric Skateboard Kits
We’re seeing some companies, which sell complete electric skateboards, also offering variants of electric skateboard conversion kits. This means you can buy the brand’s kit, take the deck you’d prefer and build yourself your own electric skateboard. However, do note that this strategy is not likely to save you a lot of money. Some of these kits end up being even more expensive in comparison to the whole e-board that you could purchase from the manufacturer. You should also consider that you have to have some basic handcrafting skills to assemble all the parts together. The majority of brands offer video tutorials for assembling your e-board from your deck and the kit you were given. Still, this will take a bit of tinkering.
Meepo Board V3 Kit
The company was founded in 2017 in China. Today they’re well-known in the market and, in my opinion, the market leaders in the China and budget board field. Their products are great and most of the users can only recommend Meepo. The Meepo Board V3 Kit is a collection of all the parts to build a Meepo Board V3 EXCEPT the deck. All the parts (even the grip tape) are included so that you can build your own version of Meepo’s successful V3. You have the choice to buy the normal or the ER (Extended Range) Kit which comes with a larger battery. Meepo has Pre-assembled the ESC part (Electronic Speed Controller/brain of the board) and motors, so it will save the consumer a lot of time and effort. When purchasing the Meepo V3 Kit, one will save $30 in comparison to buying the whole Meepo V3 board.
|Top Speed||29 mph (46 km/h)|
|Range||11 mi (18 km)|
20 mi (32 km) ER model
|Battery Size||144 Watt-hours|
288 Watt-hours ER model
|Motor Power||2 x 540 Watts|
|Weight||16 lbs | 7,2 kg (with deck)|
|Max Weight Capacity||300 lbs | 136 kg (Also depending on the deck)|
|Hill Climb||30 %|
|Charge Time||2 – 3 hours|
|Wheel Size||Wheel: 90 mm x 60 mm|
|Water Resistance||water resistant and moisture & dust proof (but no IP rating)|
|Link to Product||meepoboard.com/v3-kit|
$ 599 ER Kit
WOWGO Electric Skateboard Kit
Like Meepo, WOWGO is a company based in China which produces trustworthy budget electric skateboards. The founders, Jason and Aiden started WOWGO from the living room of a shared apartment in the crowded Shenzhen. The first WOWGO board was completed in September 2017. The WOWGO Electric Skateboard Kit includes all the parts (except the deck) and necessary tools to build WowGo Board (like the WOWGO 2S). WOWGO pre-assembled some parts to make it convenient for you to build your own board.
|Top Speed||23.6 mph (38 km/h)|
|Range||10 – 12 miles(16 – 19 km) Samsung Battery|
12 – 14 miles(20 – 22 km) Panasonic Battery
15 – 19 miles (25 – 30 km) SANYO Battery
|Battery Size||144 Wh – Samsung Battery|
230 Wh – Panasonic Battery
306 Wh – SANYO Battery
|Motor Power||2 x 250 Watts|
|Weight||16.7 lbs | 7,6 kg (with WOWGO 2S deck)|
|Max weight capacity||330 lbs | 150 kg (Also depending on the deck)|
|Hill climb||25 – 30 %|
|Charge time||2 – 3 hours|
|Wheel Size||Wheel: 90 mm|
|Water Resistance||Not really|
|Link to Product||wowgoboard.com/wowgo-kit|
|Price||$ 409 Samsung Battery|
$ 449 Panasonic Battery
$ 589 SANYO Battery
Like Meepo and WOWGO, Ownboard is a Chinese e-board company that produces reputable budget boards. Ownboard is a wholesaler, exporter, producer, and retailer of electronic skateboards. JOINTECH, the parent company of OWNBOARD, was founded in 2013 and registered in Hong Kong. The company also offers a kit so you can build your OWN board (see what they did there?). However, they don’t provide a lot of information and specs on their website for the kit. As such, I can’t tell you a lot about it. However, it looks like the parts they use for the majority of their boards (Ownboard W1S, C1S, Mini KT, W1AS KT) which are pretty popular and decent boards.
|Top Speed||25mph (40 km/h)|
|Range||12 – 14 miles (20 – 22 km) Standard Battery |
16-19 miles (25 – 30 km) SANYO Battery
|Battery Size||216 Wh – Standard Battery|
292 Wh – SANYO Battery
|Motor Power||2 x 250 Watts|
|Weight||17 lbs | 7,6 kg (with W1S deck)|
|Max Weight Capacity||265 lbs | 120 kg (Also epending on the deck)|
|Hill Climb||25 %|
|Charge Time||2 – 3 hours|
|Wheel Size||Wheel: 90 mm x 52 mm|
|Water Resistance||Not really|
|Link to Product||ownboard.net|
|Price||$ 409 Standard Battery|
$ 529 SANYO Battery
DIY Electric Skateboard Kits
Torque Kits (diyelectricskateboard.com)
DIYelectricskateboard.com (based in Dallas, TX, USA), has been a trustworthy provider of electric skateboard parts since 2014. It has an excellent record of providing high-quality components along with excellent customer service. These kits require more DIY skills and time to assemble in comparison to the regular conversion kits.
The diyelectricskateboard.com kits will enable you to build a modular electric powered skateboard. It also allows you to upgrade and change parts in the future as desired or needed. You can use any deck you want, though they recommend using a sturdy and rigid deck with a wheelbase of 25″ or more, as this will give you the proper space to fit your components.
By purchasing the parts from diyelectricskateboard.com, you also get step by step instructions guiding you through the build process. That will save some people from a headache. What is remarkable about these sets is that the parts definitely fit and are very long-lasting. It also has a pre-welded motor mount on the trucks, good for the vast majority that does not necessarily possess the needed welding equipment.
To boot, the ESC is configurable. This allows you to change the settings on how much power & torque is delivered, as well as how much beaking strength is applied. Another neat little feature is the silent mode, which renders the motors almost entirely soundless. All of these handy settings and features are not available on the standard commercial built electric skateboards.
Their line-up exists of three different conversion kits:
- Pro 1 Electric Skateboard Conversion Kit
- Pro 2 Electric Skateboard Conversion Kit
- Pro 3 Electric Skateboard Conversion Kit
|Top Speed||25+ mph (40+ km/h) Pro 1|
30+ mph (48 km/h) Pro 2
35+ mph (56 km/h) Pro 3
|Range||10 miles (16 km) Pro 1|
20 – 25 miles (32 – 40 km) Pro 2
20 – 25 miles (32 – 40 km) Pro 3
|Battery Size||266 Wh – Pro 1|
533 Wh – Pro 2
533 Wh – Pro 3
|Motor Power||2500 Watts Max – Pro 1|
2 x 2500 Watts Max – Pro 2
2 x 3150 Watts Max – Pro 3
|Max Weight Capacity||No info|
|Hill Climb||No info (but probably a lot)|
|Charge Time||2 – 4 hours Pro 1 |
5 – 8 hours (normal charger) Pro 2 and 3
2 – 4 (fast charger) Pro 2 and 3
|Wheel Size||Different wheels available From 83 – 110 mm wheels|
|Link to Products||diyelectricskateboard.com/electric-skateboard-conversion-kit|
|Price||$ 729 – Pro 1|
$ 1199 – Pro 2
$ 1299 – Pro 3
The Different Types of Electric Skateboard Conversion Kits
- Pre-build Kits (plug n ride)
- Dual motor electric skateboard kit
- 4WD electric skateboard kit
- Cheap Chinese budget Kits
- DIY electric skateboard Kits
As you can see there are a lot of choices on the market when it comes to finding an electric skateboard conversion kit. Arguably, Mellow is the most famous and well-known option for quickly converting your standard skateboard into an electrically powered one. Ride Unlimited also build very reliable and excellent products.
If you have a bit of knowledge and experience with DIY builds then the Meepo, WOWGO and Pro 1, 2, and 3 Conversion Kits will also be some great contenders because you get impressive performance for your money. As the builds are modular, it’s very easy to swap and change out any parts if they were to break. That’s something you can struggle with when it comes to companies and pre-built electric skateboards.
Disadvantages of Electric Skateboard Kits
Less powerful: The smaller size of the electric skateboard kits results in a smaller battery and motor. Putting smaller components usually translates in smaller power output, which in turn means a lower top speed and range on a single battery charge. Smaller and lighter boards typically result in less range and power. As such, we need to pick wisely.
Range: To fit under any deck the electric skateboard the kits have to be relatively small. If your kit is small and all weenie-teenie-tiny, then there is no possibility to mount a big battery on it. With a small battery capacity, the range will not be very long. Therefore, keep in mind that the small electric skateboards will not take you very far. This is the biggest drawback when it comes to portability in electric skateboarding, but companies know that and have therefore designed the batteries to be swappable. As such, if you want to ride far, invest in an extra battery. It will increase your range twice as much!
Price: If you buy an electric skateboard kit, you won’t purchase a whole board, but you will pay as if you did. You will not save money even without the new deck. You have to keep that in mind. On the other hand, you’re able to put it on any board you want!
Advantages of Electric Skateboard Kits
- Mountable on any deck you want
- Air Travel-friendly
If you are planning to travel with your new electric skateboard conversion kit, you have to check out my definitive guide on Air travel.
Other Things to Consider When Buying an Electric Skateboard Kit
The kinetic energy of a moving object increases in proportion to the square of the speed. In other words, if you are traveling at 20mph (32 km/h) you will get 4 times the damage to someone riding 10mph (16 km/h). At 40mph (64 km/h) (and yes there are e-boards out there that can reach this speed!) you will have 16 times higher impact energy!
To really know how to ride more safely, check out my article with 17 insanely reliable safety tips!
If we crash we don’t have a thick protective layer of metal as we do in cars. All we’ve got is our protective gear (helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads), our clothes and ultimately our skin to shield us. That said, please ride with reasonable speed and always wear your protective gear!
Check Out My Articles on the Best Protective Gear for Electric Skateboarding:
- Best Helmets
- Best Gloves and Wristguards
- Best Knee and Elbow Pads
- Best Lights
- Overview of the best electric skateboard Protective gear
Last Words – now it’s your turn
Electric skateboards are great! They have many of the advantages of standard longboards but you can get around faster or further with less effort. An electric skateboard is more appealing to some people, especially commuters because they can arrive at their destination without getting sweaty.
The electric skateboard kits make it possible for us to take any deck we like and make it a powerful e-board. I love this freedom!
Now I want to hear from you:
Which electric skateboard conversion kit do you like the most? I would also love to know why you like this particular kit the most.
Please let me know by leaving a quick comment if you feel so inclined.